Top 5 Christmas Places in Canada: Discover them today
Top 5 Christmas Places in Canada: Discover them today with us! So, Christmas is approaching and as always here at LocalNewsCanada we are looking forward to share with you the best events and places to be during festivities. Christmas is not merely about consumerism culture, it is about kindness and sharing with others.
This list is to present you with the most magical places you can find in the country to spend your Christmas season. Don’t look elsewhere and enjoy with your loved ones holidays that bring happiness to the entire family!
Canada is the perfect home for the Christmas spirit, with its wintry, snowy landscape and friendly, welcoming atmosphere. The biggest cities in Canada soon transform to show tourists and locals alike just how powerful and warming can this season be!
Here are our picks for the top 5 Christmas places in Canada:
Toronto: the Largest City in Canada
The largest city in the country is not merely a sprawling metropolis, but also becomes one of the top destinations for tourists from Canada and abroad. Half a million people flow into the city for Christmas, looking forward to enjoy the events, sparkling lightworks and outdoor skating facilities.
Here are some of the top events in Toronto this season:
- Toronto Christmas Market runs from 15th of November to 23th of December. It is inspired by the European tradition of Christkindlmarkt which originated in Germany.
- Christmas Flower Shows goes on until mid-January. For this event, the Allan Gardens Conservatory and the Centennial Park Conservatory will be decorated with thousands of flowering plant species.
- Cavalcade of Lights is the dazzling event in Nathan Phillips Square. Gorgeous fireworks, lightworks and music to accompany the entire performance and start the Christmas season in top fashion!
Montreal: Quebec’s finest
The crown jewel of Quebec prides itself for being one of the, if not THE best choice for Christmas in Canada, with its many Christmas markets, interactive installations, flashing lightworks, festivals and more.
Here are some of the events you want to check out:
- Christmas in the Park runs from the 1st to the 25th of December, where events are organized around bonfires with live music and poetry readings.
- The Victorian Christmas at the Sir George-Etienne Cartier National Site is magnificent, where you can explore an old Victorian house and get a taste of how Christmas was celebrated back in the days.
- Merry Montreal runs from 20th to 31st of December. This festival brings about countless events all around the city. Enjoy the interactive light installations, check out venues with live music, get a taste of local Quebec’s finest products. It’s all here.
Vancouver: Pacific Delight
Vancouver is without a doubt one of the most unique places to be during Christmas. With its distinctive mixed half-Asian, half-European heritage, the most livable of Canada’s big cities colors itself to become an ocean of experiences and delights!
- Head to Stanley Park between 27th of November and the 3d of January. The park transforms into a miniature North Pole with its thousands of lights and icy scene. Don’t forget to take a ride on the Christmas train!
- Don’t miss the Canyon Lights at Capilano Suspension Bridge Park – which is already a landmark on its own, but which thanks to Christmas lightworks becomes THE place for the absolute Christmas photograph!
- But most of all you should check out the Vancouver Santa Claus Parade! This takes place on the 2nd of December and it is just one of those events everybody should see at least once. Half a million people attend the event, with marching bands aplenty and of course, the star himself…Santa Claus!
Ottawa: Christmas in the Capital
The capital can stand on its own as one of the perfect places to visit during Christmas…with its beautiful Rideau Canal and long walkaways, it delivers a charm that is more ‘secluded’ and ‘intimate’ than other big cities in the country.
Check out these events in Ottawa:
- Byward Market which runs throughout the whole year from Monday to Friday is a favorite destination, with its illuminated atmosphere and market stalls selling every needed supply for your Christmas decoration and, of course, gifts!
- Parliament Hill from December 5 to January 7 sports a multimedia festive event that you don’t want to miss, displayed directly onto the Parliament’s Centre Block! Grab a hot chocolate and enjoy the spectacle!
Niagara Falls: Nature and Beauty
Niagara Falls is without a doubt one of the most visited places in all of North America. For Christmas, the popular and iconic waterfall will host events and fireworks that are sure to dazzle and thaw even the coldest hearts!
- As in many other cities, you should also check out the Santa Claus Parade (on 17th of November) with its live events and marching bands.
- If you are looking for something less traditional, head to the Skylon Tower, which glows red on 25th of December to celebrate Christmas. Be sure to check the Summit Suite Buffet restaurant!
- Last but not least, do not miss the Winter Festival of Lights, held between the 3d of November to the 31st of January. This event will be sure to leave you absolutely mesmerized! The signature 8km route through Niagara Parks and Dufferin Islands is transformed into a winter wonderland for this special occasion.
So here are our picks for the top 5 Christmas places in Canada! Spend your Christmas in Canada and you will surely live an unforgettable experience!