CEOWORLD Magazine has named 41 Canadian billionaires, thus, revealing the wealthiest people in Canada for its annual Canada Rich List Index.
The Financial publication’s annual listing stated that 2019 witnessed the total wealth of the top richest Canadians reached a new peak of $96.4 billion.
According to David Thompson, chairman of Thomson Reuters, took the top spot with an estimated net worth of an astonishing $39 billion. The British-Canadian tycoon became the wealthiest man in the country after he inherited Thomson Corporation following the death of his father. Forbes states that control and a media and publishing empire founded by his grandfather Roy Thompson, also possess the Globe and Mail, including a major share in Bell Canada.
The next wealthiest person in Canada is Joseph Tsai, vice-chairman of Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba Group. Besides. He owns almost half of the Brooklyn Nets National Basketball Association team. The estimated net worth of Joseph Tsai is $10.2 billion.
Galen Weston is the third richest person in the country, with a net worth of $9 billion. This British-Canadian businessman is the chairman emeritus of George Weston – a huge Canadian food processing and distribution company, which represents businesses through its management of Loblaw Companies Limited and its recent acquisition of Shoppers Drug Mart.
David Cheriton and James Irving made the top five wealthiest people in Canada, with $6.4 billion and $6.3 billion, accordingly. Jim Pattison appeared to be the sixth wealthiest person.
CEOWORLD magazine researched on a number of national and international media reports to bring to the light the richest people. Forbes global index provided more information about Canadian billionaires. Here are net worth figures in U.S. dollars.
The list of Canadian Billionaires
David Thomson: $39 billion
2. Joseph Tsai: $10.2 billion
3. Galen Weston: $9 billion
4. David Cheriton: $6.4 billion
5. James Irving: $6.3 billion
6. Jim Pattison: $5.7 billion
7. Huang Chulong: $5.6 billion
8. Emanuele (Lino) Saputo: $5.1 billion
9. Chip Wilson: $4.6 billion
10. Mark Scheinberg: $4.5 billion
11. Alain Bouchard: $4.1 billion
12. Peter Gilgan: $4 billion
13. Arthur Irving: $3.5 billion
14. Daryl Katz: $3.1 billion
15. Bob Gaglardi: $3 billion
16. Tobi Lutke: $2.9 billion
17. Garrett Camp: $2.7 billion
18. Robert Miller: $2.7 billion
19. Mitchell Goldhar: $2.7 billion
20. Lawrence Stroll: $2.6 billion
21. Jean Coutu: $2.5 billion
22. Michael Lee-Chin: $2.4 billion
23. Carlo Fidani: $2.3 billion
24. Serge Godin: $2.3 billion
25. Charles Bronfman: $2.3 billion
26. Jacques D’Amours: $2.1 billion
27. Pierre Karl Péladeau: $1.8 billion
28. Stephen Smith: $1.8 B $2 billion
29. Marcel Adams: $1.7 billion
30. Stephen Jarislowsky: $1.6 billion
31. Hal Jackman: $1.6 billion
32. Gerald Schwartz: $1.6 billion
33. Mark Leonard: $1.5 billion
34. N. Murray Edwards: $1.4 billion
35. Bruce Flatt: $1.4 billion
36. Brandt Louie: $1.4 billion
37. Peter Szulczewski: $1.4 billion
38. K. Rai Sahi: $1.3 billion
39. Jack Cockwell: $1.3 billion
40. Terence (Terry) Matthews: $1.2 billion
41. Guy Laliberté: $1 billion