Ontario will soon reopen its PNP immigration system
Ontario will soon reopen its PNP immigration stream. The In-Demand Skills Stream will reopen on July 6, and expand to new 13 eligible occupations. These new employment positions will be outside of the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). Moreover, workers both from inside and outside of Canada can apply for the program.
The purpose of the stream is also to address labour shortage in Ontario, with a focus on in-demand occupations. For example, there is a dire need for workers in the fields of agriculture, construction, trucking, or personal support. The In-Demand Skills stream is a provincial nomination program (PNP): the candidate, in order to obtain the provincial nomination, must have a valid job offer and meet eligibility criteria.
So how to be eligible for Ontario PNP?
In order to be eligible, the candidate must obtain a full-time, permanent job offer. Such an offer would be a minimum of 1560 hours in a year, and open ended (no end date for the position). The position must be in an eligible occupation, inside or outside of the GTA. Also, the position must fall under one of the following National Occupation Classification skill level C or D NOC codes:
- 3413 – nurse aides, orderlies and patient service associates
- 4412 – home support workers and related occupations, excluding housekeepers
- 7441 – residential and commercial installers and servicers
- 7511 – transport truck drivers
- 7521 – heavy equipment operators (except crane)
- 7611 – construction trades helpers and labourers
- 8431 – general farm workers
- 8432 – nursery and greenhouse workers
- 8611 – harvesting labourers
- 9462 – industrial butchers and meat cutters, poultry preparers and related workers
Moreover, as of July 6, the PNP has expanded to include following occupation NOC codes, as long as the job is located outside of the GTA:
- 9411 – machine operators, mineral and metal processing
- 9416 – metalworking and forging machine operators
- 9417 – machining tool operators
- 9418 – other metal products machine operators
- 9421 – chemical plant machine operators
- 9422 – plastics processing machine operators
- 9437 – woodworking machine operators
- 9446 – industrial sewing machine operators
- 9461 – process control and machine operators, food, beverage and associated products processing
- 9523 – electronics assemblers, fabricators, inspectors and testers
- 9526 – mechanical assemblers and inspectors
- 9536 – industrial painters, coaters and metal finishing process operators
- 9537 – other products assemblers, finishers and inspectors
On the other hand, every candidate must also qualify for certain criteria and respect obligations. And most importantly, also the employers must demonstrate the person they are hiring under the Ontario Immigration Nominee Program is indispensable for their business.