New process to study in Canada


New process to study in Canada in fall semester 2020: All you need to know

A new process is now available for those who wish to obtain a study permit for fall 2020 academic year. This is because the pandemic has made it difficult for international students to collect required documents. The Canada border is, moreover, currently closed to most international students. Only students who got their permits before 18th of March can freely cross. Still, border officers do have the prerogative to refuse their entry if they can complete their program online.

In order to untangle the situation, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) is introducing a new process. This two-step approval process will allow international students to start their semester online. Moreover, students won’t need a finalised study permit to start their program. New instructions are also sent to officers in order to comply with these temporary changes.

How can I study in Canada from fall 2020 semester?

In order to obtain a study permit for fall 2020, there is a two-step process that you need to pass.

International students should submit:

  • Letter of acceptance or/and Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (for Quebec students only);
  • Proof of funds;
  • Proof that they can leave Canada when they no longer have legal temporary or permanent status;
  • also Proof of family ties in Canada, if any.

Upon assessment by immigration officers, students can get their pre-approval based on officer’s discretion. Once students hold this pre-approval, they can begin their studying.

The second step, however, gives the chance to obtain a full study permit and therefore travel to Canada. For example, this can lead to settling in Canada through one of the immigration programs reserved for international students. But, if any students wishes to travel to Canada, they will also need to present:

  • Immigration medical examination and full check-up;
  • Security-Police certificates to confirm background;
  • Biometrics.

What if I want to stay in Canada after 2020 academic year?

Of course, full study permit is needed if you want to apply for the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP). The PGWP is now available also to those students who completed up to half of their program online and half in Canada. Thanks to the PGWP, students can gain useful professional experience which will allow them to obtain permanent residency.

In a new statement, Immigration Minister Mendicino said: ‘The pandemic has had a significant impact on international students and the Canadian institutions and communities that host them’. ‘This is why we have implemented a series of measures to support them. We value the contribution of young people seeking a high-quality education in Canada. We’re making every effort to minimize how current challenges affect their plans and dreams for the future.’